The New Members Programme 2018
Every year the IMC runs introductory sessions for new members covering rock-climbing and mountain skills.
The program kicks off in April, see the Guidelines for New members Programme for participant requirements and the schedule of events below.
While we cater for those new to traditional rock climbing, we do expect that you have some experience of either indoor climbing, sport climbing or bouldering. You know how to move on holds and have a taste for the overall sport.
IMPORTANT This year we are trialing a new programme which has entry requirements:
- Must be paid-up Associate Members of the Club
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must be healthy and free from any medical condition that would affect ability to climb safely
- Must have both read and understood the MI Participation Statement: “Mountaineering Ireland recognises that climbing and mountaineering are activities with a danger of personal injury or death. Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions and involvement.”
- Must have the basic belay skills and know how to safely tie on, this can be obtained through a climbing wall provider, on any of the club climbing wall evenings or demonstrated in the first climbing wall session.
- Must have the minimum equipment specified. See Module1 (White) Required to Access Single-pitch Outdoor Sessions.
- Must have signed a waiver before the start of the programme.
|Thursday 5th April 8.00pm||Introductory presentation for new members|
|Thursday Evening 12th April 6.30-10pm|| Dublin Climbing Centre, Tying on to rope, Belay Skills,
Knots & Hitches, Building two point Belays with Bolts,
Warmups, Fundamentals of Movement.
|Sunday 15th April 9.00am – 4pm||New Members: Introductory Day Dalkey Quarry|
|Thursday Evening #1 19th April 5.00pm – dusk||Introduction to Trad Climbing, Dalkey Quarry|
|Thursday Evening #2 26th April 5.00pm – dusk||Introduction to Trad Climbing, Dalkey Quarry|
|Thursday Evening #3 3rd May 5.00pm – dusk||Introduction to Trad Climbing, Dalkey Quarry|
|Thursday Evening #4 10th May 5.00pm – dusk||Introduction to Trad Climbing, Dalkey Quarry|
|Thursday Evening #5 17th May 5.00pm – dusk||Introduction to Trad Climbing, Dalkey Quarry|
|Friday-Sunday 18th-20th May||New Members: Glendalough Weekend – IMC Hut Glendassan|
|Friday-Sunday 22nd -24th June||
New Members: Weekend – venue TBC
|TBC – usually Autumn||New Members: Glendalough Weekend – IMC Hut Glendassan, Mountain Skills|
The goal of the introductory sessions is to give climbing instruction as well as help new members to get to know others and build up some contacts that should help them get out and about this summer and beyond.
We have an initial meeting at the Teachers Club in Parnell Square. You do not have to be a member to come, however, please note you will have to have become a member of the club to take part in any of the outdoor sessions. Click this Join the IMC link for details.
Please contact the Training Officer as soon as possible to put your name on the list, as we can only look after a certain number of people. To guarantee your place please join the club now.
The Programme for 2018 includes: a session learning to belay at Dublin Climbing Centre, an all day climbing session in Dalkey Quarry plus five further evening sessions on consecutive Thursdays in Dalkey Quarry. Finally, the highlights of the programme are weekends away climbing single and multi-pitch routes in the Mourne Mountains and Glendalough in Wicklow.