Every year the IMC runs an introductory programme for new members covering rock-climbing and mountaineering skills.
This year the program kicks off in March 2022. Please see the Guidelines for the Introduction to Trad Climbing Programme 2020 for information. The INTRO2TRAD22 wont follow this completely but a lot of work went into compiling this by some of my predecessors and there is some very useful information about Traditional Climbing to be learned from it.
This is the schedule of events for the INTRO2TRAD22 programme:
- Zoom: Welcome to the Club & intro to trad meeting: Tuesday 29th March 8:30pm – 9.30 pm
- Dalkey Quarry Thursdays : (start 6pm, finish when dark) 7th, 14th, 21st, 28th April & 5th May
- Wicklow Glendalough: Intro to Multipitch Trad climbing: 7-8th May
The goal of the programme is to give instruction in how to safely second a leader, how to remove protection, how to read a route and start thinking about leading yourself. It is also an opportunity for new members to get to know other club members and build up some climbing contacts. Following the programme you are encouraged to use your initiative to make alliances within the club and further develop your seconding and lead climbing skills by getting out as often as you can with other club members. Nobody can do this for you!
In order to take part in any of the sessions the following minimum gear requirement applies for all: Helmet, Harness, Belay device, 2 locking carabiners, climbing shoes, climbing sling, face covering (when appropriate) outdoor clothing suitable to the weather on the day.
Unfortunately if you don’t have this gear you cannot take part for your safety and ours.
If you are interested in mentoring or taking part in the programme please email Dermot Shiels, IMC Training Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org [unless you have already done so].
IMPORTANT This programme has entry requirements:
- Must have signed a waiver before the start of the programme.
- If you are experiencing symptoms of Covid 19 please do not attend.
- Must be paid-up Member of the Club
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must be healthy and free from any medical condition that would affect ability to climb safely
- Must have both read and understood the MI Participation Statement: “Mountaineering Ireland recognises that climbing and mountaineering are activities with a danger of personal injury or death. Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions and involvement.”
- Must have the minimum equipment listed above.
- We will be using WhatsApp groups for communication purposes so please provide your full name and mobile number when applying to take part.
- Also please note that photographs taken will be share on our WhatsApp groups, Facebook page, website and other social media sites. So remember to smile 🙂
- There is a discounted charge of €5 per night to stay at the hut for Intro weekend