Every year the IMC run an introductory programme for new members covering rock-climbing and mountaineering skills, This is our 75th year!!!
This year the INTROTOTRAD23 program kicks off at the end of March 2023 with an information and Q&A session via Zoom for current members of the club. So if you are interested ensure you have paid your annual subscription for club membership. Please see the Guidelines for the Introduction to Trad Climbing Programme 2020 for information. The INTRO2TRAD23 wont follow this completely but a lot of work went into compiling this by some of my predecessors and there is some very useful information about Traditional Climbing to be learned from it.
This is the schedule of events for the INTRO2TRAD23 programme:
- Zoom meeting : Welcome to the Club & Q&A : Tuesday 28th March 8pm – 9pm : All welcome
- Mentors only meet in Glendalough to blow off the winter cobwebs and prepare for the Intro Programme: Sat & Sunday 1st 2nd April : By invitation only
- Dalkey Quarry Thursdays : (Start 6pm, Finish when dark) 6th, 13th, 20th, 27th April & [optional] 4th May Meet at carpark above the play ground : All Welcome
- Wicklow Glendalough: Intro to Multipitch Trad Climbing meet : 6-7th May, meet at 10am at upper lake car park, option to stay at the club hut. : By Invitation only
The goal of the programme is to give new members practical experience of how to safely second a lead climber outdoors, how to remove protection, how to read a route and start thinking about leading yourself. At the 4 to 5 nights in Dalkey you will experience single pitch climbing where you can walk to the the base of the route and walk away from the top of the route with relative ease. On the final weekend you will experience the more challenging multi-pitch environment of one of the best mountain crags in Ireland, where you will need to put all you have learned into practice in a more challenging environment. Not all participants will be ready for this and the mentors will make a final decision on who is ready to take part in this. It may be the case that you need some additional single pitch experience before you venture down to Glendalough, so don’t take it personally.
It is also an opportunity for new members to get to know other club members and build up some climbing contacts. Following the programme you are encouraged to use your initiative to make alliances within the club and further develop your seconding and lead climbing skills by getting out as often as you can with other club members. Nobody can do this for you!
In order to take part in any of the sessions the following minimum gear requirement applies for all: Helmet, Harness, Belay device, 2 locking carabiners, climbing shoes, climbing sling, prussic rope, face covering (when appropriate) outdoor clothing suitable to the weather on the day.
Unfortunately if you don’t have this gear you cannot take part for your safety and ours.
If you are interested in mentoring or taking part in the programme please email Dermot Shiels, IMC Training Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org. with your full name, mobile number and availability.
IMPORTANT This programme has entry requirements:
- Must have signed a waiver before the start of the programme.
- If you are experiencing symptoms of Covid 19 please do not attend.
- Must be paid-up Member of the Club
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must be healthy and free from any medical condition that would affect ability to climb safely
- Must have both read and understood the MI Participation Statement: “Mountaineering Ireland recognises that climbing and mountaineering are activities with a danger of personal injury or death. Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions and involvement.”
- Must have the minimum equipment listed above.
- We will be using WhatsApp groups for communication purposes so please provide your full name and mobile number when applying to take part.
- Also please note that photographs taken will be shared on our WhatsApp groups, Facebook page, website and other social media sites. So remember to smile 🙂
- There is a discounted charge of €5 per night to stay at the hut for Intro weekend
If you have any questions email Training@irishmountaineeringclub.org