Sherkin Island BH Weekend Trad Meet
August 2 @ 8:00 am - August 5 @ 5:00 pm
Sherkin Island- Details below ; thanks to Dave Walsh
2nd to 5th August 2024 http://wiki.climbing.ie/index.php?title=Sherkin_Island
Exploration once again! A couple of crags with easy climbs and a known unknown – a large, untouched sea cliff. Sandstone / mudstone, which we know from elsewhere, when it’s good it’s very very good.
Camping is at a well appointed paying campsite above the sea, with hot showers and good cooking and other facilities https://sherkinnorthshore.com/. IMC has booked 20 standard slots at €12.50 per person per night which is €37.50 for the weekend on a “first come first served” basis. To register your place just Revolut €37.50 to @david5czr.
IMC is only organising the basic camping facility, one man one tent sorta thing. Northshore other offerings are :
- B&B in an ensuite room is 65E per person per night. There is a single occupancy charge of 10e per night if the room only has 1 occupant.
- Family Bell Tent with 1 double bed and 2 single beds is 110E per night-full use of self-catering kitchen, toilets and hot showers
- Couples bell Tent with 1 Double Bed is 80E per night
- Camping with your own tent is 12.50e per person per night, whether alone or sharing (i.e. the standard offering IMC has organised), the booking is for the three nights.
- Northshore are also in the process of building 2 Glamping Pods which they hope to have available for this season. They can confirm options once the units are prepared.
Northshore provide evening meals. You will need to make advance bookings especially during the August Bank Holiday Weekend. Breakfast is also available with advance booking. They also run a café between 12-4pm
Sherkin does not have a shop where you can buy bread, milk, sandwiches etc. Fields SuperValu in Skibbereen will deliver to the island. There is a fridge freezer and cupboard space in the Northshore self catering kitchen for food you bring with you to the island.
For anything other than to book a standard slot with me, camping for three nights with your own tent at 12.50e per person per night, cost 37.50e payable now, then yer man is Daniel +353 83 3580819 or email email@example.com.
I don’t know how tidally affected are the cliffs but the sweet spot is for the usual 6 hours lasting until 2.30pm, 3.00pm and 4.15pm on the three days of the weekend, Saturday to Monday.
In 2023 the last ferries over were at 5.45pm, 7.00pm and 8.30pm, with last ferries back 15 minutes later. Cost was €12 return per person with usual concessionary rates (bring the bus pass !). I hear rumours of a bus to meet the ferry if they know there is a punter.
Sherkin is about 4km long and Northshore Camping is about 2km from the landing spot and up to 4km away from the ends of other roads on the island. I’m bringing a bicycle. I will keep an eye out for hire bikes in 2024 on the island or in Baltimore – the port of embarkation – on the mainland.