- This event has passed.
Lough Mountain / Corrigasleggaun Hike
January 22 @ 10:00 am - 4:30 pm
Meeting Point: Drumgoff Recreational Car park , Glenmalure Aghavannagh Road
Date: January 22nd 2023, Time 10.00am
Grid Reference: / 30930 – 18900,
Main Objective:One day hike
Map: East West Mapping “Lugnaquilla & Glendalough” Scale 1;30,000
Distance: 17 km approx. Time: 4 Hr 30 Mins
Hike Leader: Alan Brooks
- Start at Drumgoff Recreation car park and follow the forest trail north east to meet the Wicklow way trail.
- Follow the Wicklow way west for approximately half a kilometre.
- At the junction leave the Wicklow way and take the track going west (Parish Turf Bog on map) to meet the boardwalk. Follow the board walk until it meets the forest road.
- At the forest road pick up the track going northwest which will bring you to open ground . Continue the ascent up the spur to Corrigasleggaun/ Lough mountain.
- Continue north west, the track may not be obvious but continue along the route. The ground maybe boggy underfoot.
- As you gain height you will meet peat hags . Follow the track through the peat hags that will bring you to the 1992 airplane crash site.
- Continue past the crash site to the cairn that marks the summit of Corrigasleggaun/ Lough mountain. Grid Reference 30470 – 19110
- The track from the summit continues north west and is easy to follow and takes you down to the saddle where it meets the south prison of Lug. The view of Kelly’s lough is to your right.
- Continue northwest along the track until it meets the track coming down from Lug going towards Cloghernagh/ Leohard. Grid Reference: 30440 – 19170
- Follow this track east until you come to the Cairn marking Cloghernagh summit. Grid Reference: 30560 – 19180
- From the cairn go south, south east , the steep decent over rough ground for 1 Km aiming for forestry and the hillwalking access .Crossing the Carrawaystick stream, This access takes you to the forest track.
- Follow the forest track east for 1.5 Km . At this junction you have the choice to go straight along the road until it meets the Wicklow way or take the sharp turn right and follow the forest road for approximately 2 km where it meets the board walk (step 3 above).
- Turn left onto the board walk and retrace you steps back to the car park at Drungoff.
Ankle supporting hillwalking boots are essential as part of the terrain is rough, ensure you bring warm layers, rain gear, hat, gloves, head torch, first aid kit packed lunch, water and a hot drink